Phocuswire: “Lonely Planet acquires trip planner Elsewhere”
Canva Commercial, featured on primetime television globally: “Elsewhere Design Stories”
Startup Nation Podcast: “Startup Nation Radio: The Founders of Elsewhere Travel, a New Vacation Model“
Away’s Here Magazine: “Meet the Travel Company Lifting Up Local Businesses“
Full-Time Travel: “Creating Positive Impact Through Travel, With Elsewhere”
The New York Times: “Make Way for the Travel Agents. Again.”
ASTA, American Society of Travel Advisors: “Rise of Regenerative Travel”
The Washington Post: “What to expect if you’re traveling this summer”
Modern travel planning with local experts. Remarkable places. Wildly unique experiences. Positive impact travel.
We connect travelers to the best local travel companies to plan and book tailor-made trips.
Elsewhere is on a mission to make tourism better, more sustainable, and more ethical for travelers and the destinations they visit.
- Elsewhere LLC, referred to as “elsewhere”
- Incorporated: United States
- Founded: April 10, 2021
- Destinations: 45
- Local Experts: 28
- Women owned/led: 60% of Local Expert Network
- Certifications: B Corp Pending
Quotes & Taglines:
“Better trips for you, better trips for the world.”
“Travel like a guest of the destination, not a tourist on vacation.”
“When a destination thrives, so does your experience there.”
“Trips you couldn’t plan, even if you wanted to.”
Alexis Bowen worked in travel operations and logistics for nearly a decade before pivoting to tech. Her experience lies in building and growing businesses, and she successfully lead the US expansion of a French travel tech start-up, growing revenue to $10 million in two years. Alexis manages business development for Elsewhere, including partnerships, marketing, PR, and client services. Alexis started traveling at a young age, embarking on her first international solo trip at 13 years old, and she hasn’t stopped since. Currently, she splits her time between France and the United States.
A travel industry veteran, Craig Zapatka knows the nitty gritty of on-the-ground travel after nearly 10 years working as a tour guide for industry juggernauts like G Adventures, Intrepid, and Butterfield & Robinson. Thanks to his experience, Craig has forged close, personal connections with hundreds of on-the-ground suppliers worldwide. At Elsewhere, Craig manages the local expert network and is an active member in the sustainable and responsible travel community. A polyglot who speaks four languages, Craig has called Peru, Brazil, Thailand, France, and the US home.
Our Sustainable Commitments
- On average, as little as 10% of money spent on a typical vacation is actually invested back into the local economy. Our direct-to-local model allows 87% of your trip dollars to stay in the destination, empowering its communities with long-term, locally based income.
- We privilege women-owned businesses, and projects that employ underrepresented members of society, while our Elsewhere Charter ensures that guides and drivers are paid proper wages and work in safe conditions.
- Carbon offset (including international flights): We offset your entire trip using the UNFCCC Carbon Offset Platform. Elsewhere selects CERs that meet the highest level of environmental integrity.
- Plastic clean up: For every Elsewhere trip, we remove 2.2 lbs of plastic (the equivalent of 50 plastic water bottles) from the ocean with our partner, Plastic Bank.
- Plant a tree: For every traveler that takes a trip with us, Elsewhere will plant 10 trees through our partner, Eden Project.